Monday, January 17, 2011

Subchorionic Hemorrage-Will I Miscarry?

A subchorionic hemorrhage is a bleed that occurs when there is a small tear in the placenta.  The hemorrhage can cause light bleeding and can be mistaken for an impending miscarriage.  Some people have no symptoms at all. 

You have tried so hard to become pregnant and then you find out that you have a subchorionic hemorrhage.  What does this mean for you and your baby?  The answer is not straight forward.  Most people go on to have a completely normal pregnancy, but there are some factors to consider:

1.  How far along are you in the pregnancy?
2.  How large is the hemorrhage?
3.  Is there active bleeding?

The larger the hemorrhage, the more dangerous it is.  If the hemorrhage is a lot larger than the baby, then there is a small chance that it could cause you to miscarry.  Most are very small and heal up without causing any problems.  If you are far along in your pregnancy and still have evidence of a hemorrhage, then there is a chance that it could cause placental abruption.  You will have to be monitored closely by your doctor and could be put on bed rest. 

I am sharing this with you because I did a great deal of research on subchorionic hemetomas when I found out that I had one.  The encouraging news is that mine was very large and did not go away until about 20 weeks of pregnancy, and I still had a healthy baby boy.  This was very scary to go through, especially considering I had already been through three miscarriages.  I hope no one has to go through the fear of a subchorionic hemorrhage, but if you do please know that many people have them and go on to have healthy babies.

3 comments:

  1. I also had a subchorionic hemorrhage when I was pregnant with my second daughter. I was also terrified as I had a previous miscarriage of a healthy baby boy and no cause was determined. I had weekly ultrasounds with my RE and each week, I left there with mixed emotions. Baby was growing and heartbeat was strong, but that damn hematoma kept growing and I continued to have spotting. Finally, at around 10 weeks, it began shrinking and my spotting stopped. It got smaller each week. When I "graduated" from my RE to my regular OBGYN at 13 weeks, I asked my RE if we needed to continue watching it. I was nervous when he said no. When I went in for my 18 week scan, the hematoma was gone! I delivered a healthy baby girl on my due date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be a very scary thing, mine kept growing and was eventually as big as the baby! They really thought I would miscarry but my baby boy is as healthy as can be. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very critical so better to choose good infertility clinic go get success

    ReplyDelete