Wednesday, December 22, 2010

To Tell or Not to Tell?!?!?

1 in every 4 couples is said to be infertile, but for some reason we still feel so uncomfortable talking about it!  I know I did in the beginning.  I was not embarrassed at all, but I really did not like people knowing my business!  Our first IVF attempt only our family knew we were going through it, and they were always very supportive.  But our second attempt overlapped the beginning of volleyball season, and there was no way around having to tell people.  (I was a coach at the time.)  At first I just told the other coaches, because I knew I would be having to miss some.  Eventually the whole team knew!  Even though I was not too comfortable with the idea of everyone knowing what I was going through, I really think it helped me keep my sanity.  If you are one of those people who has not told anyone I would suggest telling at least a few people outside of the family.  Sometimes it is easier to talk to people who are not so invested in the situation.  The worst part about everyone knowing is that when a cycle fails you have to tell that many more people.  This can be very hard!  Keep these things in mind as you decide if you are going to tell friends and family about your fertility struggles.  As an infertility sufferer I would highly recommend telling at least a few friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment